On January 6th, 1957, the Epiphany of Our Lord Parish was founded by John Cardinal O’Hara, the Archbishop of Philadelphia. The name chosen for this parish was the “Epiphany of Our Lord” because the Feast of the Epiphany of Our Lord occurred on January 6.
The Reverend Joseph E. Grady, the founding pastor, celebrated the First Mass on January 7th, 1957 in the Plymouth Township Building. Every Sunday four Masses: 8:00, 9:00, 11:00, and 12:15 were celebrated for the 408 families of this parish. Father Richard Grady, S.J., the brother of Father Joseph Grady, came weekly to help with the Sunday Liturgy.
On October 1st, 1957, construction for a new school and convent began. The first floor of the school was used as a church with a seating capacity for 518 people. On September 3, 1958, the Epiphany School opened its doors for 500 students. The Sisters of St. Joseph and five lay teachers welcomed the young parishioners for the first time to the eight grades.
In 1959, a new rectory was constructed and by the end of the year the priests were able to occupy their new home. On July 6, 1969, ground was broken for a new church. The architects chosen were Nolen and Swinburne and the contract was given to the Phoenix Building and Construction Company. John Cardinal Krol officially dedicated the new church on May 26, 1971.
In June 2002, the Reverend Richard J. McAndrews was appointed the pastor of the Epiphany of Our Lord Church. On his arrival much needed renovations for the parish were undertaken. Visitors will notice the stained glass windows and doors, the marble Baptismal Font, the marble sanctuary, and the Golden Tabernacle.
On January 7, 2007, Justin Cardinal Rigali, the Archbishop of Philadelphia, offered a Mass of Thanksgiving in our newly renovated church. The Choir and parishioners sang “How Thou Art” and other songs of praise for the Blessings of Fifty Years.
Adapted from “Epiphany of Our Lord Church: 1957-2007, A Golden Jubilee”